I get asked a lot about how do I have my home office set up. There are several tips that come to mind that I have learned over the years that increase productivity.
Here are a few:
1. Natural Lighting or Well-Placed Work Lights
· Your Home Office should have a Window and Orientate Yourself to be able to see Blue Skies
· Use Lamps and Work Lights that don’t cause Glare on Your Screen
· Set up your Desk/Work Station to Optimize Lighting if You Will be Using Video
2. Mitigate Background Noise, Amplify Sound
· If Possible, Work in a Quiet Room with a Closed Door
· Set Clear Guidelines with Family/Roommates on Noise
· Keep a Set Schedule around when You have the Quietest/Privacy (note when garbage trucks, landscapers, trains, etc. make regular noise)
3. Aesthetics Keep You both Focused and Relaxed
· Inspirational Quotes/Posters/Images to rest your eyes on when on break
· Having a Plant can Increase Your Productivity by 20%
· Have a Vision Board to Remind You of Goals
4. Stay Organized, Reduce Clutter
· Have a White Board/Dry Erase Board/Poster Paper for Brainstorming
· Keep Your Desk Top Free of Clutter
· Fill Your Bookcase with How-To, Guides & Inspirational Books
· Dust Often
5. Optimize Your Use of Technology
· Invest in the Highest Quality Tech as You Can Afford
· Turn Off Unused Internet Drags
· Have a Printer & Printing Supplies Handy
6. Pay Attention to Ergonomics
· Use an Adjustable Chair that Supports You Back, Shoulders and Seat equally.
· Keep Your Monitor Arm’s Length from Your Face
· Give Your Legs & Feet Plenty of Space
Bottom line, if you are setting up a room in your house or apartment to be used as a home office, you need to really think it through. Anyone can work from home, but few are really good at working from home successfully.
· Don't have a TV in the room that you can watch things on. If you are using a TV to display presentations over your shoulder or behind you when you record video, don't have it set up to easily watch Netflix on. Keep that TV as a work tool.
· If the office is also a spare bedroom, keep the bed made and neat. Don’t let your workplace look like a place that would be a good place for a nap.